Monday, June 15, 2009

A Twitter Rant

Maybe it's because I'm an aging fuddy-duddy, but I don't get Twitter.

There, I said it.


This mockumentary from Slate, expresses what I feel is the absurdity of Twitter, by imagining an even more streamlined blogging tool, "Flutter", or the next next generation, "Shutter":




But perhaps an even more biting critique of Twitter comes via Current TV:



So, what's my beef?

Actually, there are two.

First, while I understand (and believe me, empathize with) the convenience of blog entries with 140 characters or less, who wants to follow dozens of entries like: "I'm eating lunch right now." Who's got time?!

[And don't even get me started on "celebrity Tweets"...]


Second, do companies and brands really need yet another digital channel with which to reach their groupies?

There are Web sites, enewsletters, YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, and many, many more. Who's got time?!


I do realize that Twitter's the newest thing, dominating headlines, magazine covers, blog discussion, etc.

But my feeling is that it is definitely a trend. In fact, I predict that Twitter will be largely forgotten in 18 months.

Okay -- now my prediction's digitally etched onto the Web. Check back with me in a year or two. I'll either be gloating or eating crow.

Thoughts?




UPDATE: The FlowingData blog has a cool entry from March 2008:

17 Ways to Visualize the Twitter Universe | Link


1 comment:

Phil Reinhardt said...

A follow-up from a year and a half later... And here I sit, eating crow.

I've now been on Twitter for several months and, well, enjoying the heck out of it. 'Nuff said.